Follow us on social media
The Church Unveil Their Dreamlike Video for “No Other You”
Follow us on social media
Australian psych-guitar masters The Church have unveiled the video for their new single, “No Other You” – the third from the Melbourne legends’ forthcoming album THE HYPNOGOGUE (out February 24 via Communicating Vessels).
The Church’s usual melodic, psychedelic sound takes a stark turn into a concept album about a sci-fi dystopia, perfectly suited for singer Steve Kilbey’s plaintive voice. Channeling Philip K. Dick, Ziggy Stardust/Diamond Dogs-era Bowie, and the German silent film Metropolis, “No Other You” continues the album’s retro-futuristic narrative.
The cinematic video is a gorgeous, abstract short film. The concept of art divined from dreams and the imagination is as old as time, but now we are in the age of AI changing creation itself, and this science fiction concept could easily one day be a reality. How will it play out, and how will it change humanity’s interaction?
Steve Killby spoke with Post-Punk.com about the creation of the clip: “This video imagines Eros Zeta and the Perfumed Guitars in 2054 playing a song that Zeta has composed whilst using the Hypnogogue, a machine which extracts music from out of dreams. The song is about Sun Kim Jong, the female scientist/occultist who has invented the Hypnogogue. Director Clint Lewis has taken my somewhat abstract instructions and once again hit the nail on the head.”
Watch the video below:
Setting the stage for this song, the first single, The Hypnogogue, introduces several characters: Sun Kim Jong, a Korean scientist/occult dabbler and creator of the aforementioned contraption, and her love interest/rockstar Eros Zeta, who wants to employ the machine to revive his flailing career. The following track, C’est La Vie, serves as a cautionary tale from Zeta’s agent not to mess with The Hypnogogue.
Starting out in 1980, The Church have continued to expand their highly cinematic and atmospheric blend of indie rock, shimmering post-punk, icy dreampop and psychedelic post-rock without any retread. Their expansive music career yielded a string of hit songs including “Under the Milky Way,” “Reptile,” “The Unguarded Moment” and “Almost With You,” amongst others. Their stellar live shows have also been highly praised: their most recent U.S. performance at 2022’s Cruel World Festival alongside Blondie, Bauhaus and Morrissey was namechecked by several publications as a momentous experience.
Pre-orders for the CD and vinyl of The Hypnogogue are now available HERE.
- Mar 11 Los Angeles, CA — The Belasco – Ticket link
- Mar 12 Solana Beach, CA — Belly Up Tavern – Ticket link
- Mar 14 San Francisco, CA — Great American Music Hall – Ticket link
- Mar 16 Portland, OR — Aladdin Theater – Ticket link
- Mar 17 Tacoma, WA — Elks Temple Ballroom – Ticket link
- Mar 21 Englewood, CO — Gothic Theater – Ticket link
- Mar 23 Minneapolis, MN — Fine Line Music Hall – Ticket link
- Mar 25 St Louis, MO — Delmar Hall – Ticket link
- Mar 26 Chicago, IL — Thalia Hall – Ticket link
- Mar 28 Kent, OH — Kent Stage – Ticket link
- Mar 29 Philadelphia, PA — Theatre of Living Arts – Ticket link
- Mar 30 New York, NY — Gramercy Theater – Ticket link
- Mar 31 Boston, MA — The Sinclair – Ticket link
- Apr 1 Hartford, CT — Infinity Hall – Ticket link
- Apr 3 Asbury Park, NJ — Asbury Lanes – Ticket link
- Apr 4 Alexandria, VA — Birchmere Music Hall – Ticket link
- Apr 5 Norfolk VA — The Norva – Ticket link
- Apr 6 Carrboro, NC — Cat’s Cradle – Ticket link
- Apr 7 Asheville, NC — The Grey Eagle – Ticket link
- Apr 8 Pelham, TN — The Caverns – Ticket link
The post The Church Unveil Their Dreamlike Video for “No Other You” appeared first on Post-Punk.com.