Follow us on social media
Brooklyn Darkwave Duo A Cloud of Ravens Debut Video for “Parable”
Follow us on social media
Some prefer to flee, seeking solace in parable
But this unrest propagates an ocean of angst
That still churns
Step into the shadowy realm of A Cloud of Ravens, a Brooklyn-based gothic duo. With their latest offering, “Parable,” a haunting track from their upcoming ‘Lost Hymns‘ LP, the band delivers a powerful commentary on the state of our troubled world. The accompanying brooding video only adds to the sense of foreboding.
As we navigate the depths of a devastating pandemic, A Cloud of Ravens urges us to look beyond our moral tribalism and stem the tide of hatred and vitriol. ‘Parable’ mourns the loss of heart and soul in a world drowning in rage and despair. The lyrics implore us to take action by damming the floods of negativity and finding glimmers of hope amidst the darkness. A Cloud of Ravens delivers a stirring call to arms for those brave enough to face the shadows head-on.
A Cloud of Ravens captivates your senses with their darkly poetic lyrics over a gritty, lo-fi composition of tight riffs and driving rhythms. They seamlessly murmurate between the past and present, crafting a timeless sound. What sets A Cloud of Ravens apart is their willingness to take risks and push the boundaries of the genre by transcending time and space, speaking to the struggles and triumphs of the human experience.
“In some ways, ‘Parable’ channels Einstein’s definition of insanity, which is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result,” says McIntosh. “Though dense in metaphor, the song is asking how dire do things need to get in this world for us to realize, as a society and culturally, that maybe something needs to shift as far as how we honor each other, the futility of war, and how we treat the environment? We’ve got one planet, and we’re on it together whether we like it or not. Doesn’t the path of least resistance ultimately make the most sense?”
In a world that often feels chaotic and uncertain, A Cloud of Ravens offers a glimmer of hope. “Parable” is a reminder that even in the darkest of times, there is beauty and meaning to be unearthed, if we’re brave enough to face the truth.
The minimalist DIY video features McIntosh and Narducci aimlessly wandering through various landscapes, asking the tough questions.
Watch the video below:
A Cloud of Ravens skillfully blends classic and contemporary post-punk and darkwave, delivering poetic prose and meaningful metaphor that captures the trials and joys of the modern world. With their debut in 2018, Matthew McIntosh (guitar and vocals) and Beth Narducci (bass guitar) emerged from the shadows of Brooklyn’s underground dark music scene. Their self-released offerings garnered significant attention, setting the stage for their highly anticipated 2021 LP, ‘Another Kind of Midnight.’ The duo’s remix-based EP was a true standout, featuring contributions from iconic producer John Fryer and luminaries such as Clan of Xymox, ACTORS, Chris Vrenna, and Ritual Howls.
For McIntosh, the journey to A Cloud of Ravens was a winding one. Growing up in a family of music lovers, his explorations in punk, death rock, and hardcore eventually led him to this genre, where he found his creative match in Narducci. Her background in alternative rock and industrial, as well as her professional work in A&R, added a new dimension to the duo’s sound.
Lost Hymns is a bold statement from A Cloud of Ravens. Recorded from spring to autumn 2021 and mastered by ACTORS’ Jason Corbett at his Jacknife Sound studio, this collection of 11 tracks will be released via Nexilis Records/Schubert Music Europe on April 28.
They will be touring Europe with Then Comes Silence throughout April-May and North America with Clan of Xymox and Curse Mackey in May-June.
- Apr 15 Baltimore, MD – The Crown (for Dark Spring Baltimore)
- Apr 22 Stockholm, Sweden – Klubb DÖD *
- Apr 29 Madrid, Spain – DarkMad *
- Apr 30 Madrid, Spain – DarkMad *
- May 05 Hannover, Germany – Subkultur *
- May 06 Liège, Belgium – Le Garage Creative Music *
- May 07 Liège, Belgium – Le Garage Creative Music *
- May 09 Hamburg, Germany – Headcrash *
- May 10 Hamburg, Germany – Bastard Club *
- May 11 Berlin, Germany – Wild at Heart *
- May 12 Antwerpen, Belgium – Fetish Café *
- May 13 Köln, Germany – Artheater *
- May 31 San Antonio, TX – Paper Tiger **
- June 01 Houston, TX – Numbers Night Club **
- June 02 Austin, TX – Elysium Austin **
- June 03 Dallas, TX – Granada Theater **
- June 05 Albuquerque, NM – Launchpad **
- June 06 Denver, CO – Oriental Theater **
- June 07 Salt Lake City, UT – Metro Music Hall **
- June 09 Seattle, WA – El Corazon **
- June 10 Vancouver, BC – Rickshaw Theatre **
- June 11 Portland, OR – Star Theater **
- June 13 San Francisco, CA – August Hall **
- June 14 Costa Mesa, CA – The Wayfarer **
- June 15 San Diego, CA – Brick By Brick **
- June 16 Los Angeles, CA – Regent Theater DTLA **
- July 21 Meschede, Germany – Live Am See *
* tour dates with Then Comes Silence
** tour dates with Clan of Xymox & Curse Mackey
Follow A Cloud of Ravens:
The post Brooklyn Darkwave Duo A Cloud of Ravens Debut Video for “Parable” appeared first on Post-Punk.com.