Post-punk icons Modern English recently graced the stage at KEXP Studios in Seattle, WA, this past June. The band played four new songs from their upcoming album, 1234, as well as a fresh take on their classic hit, “I Melt With You.”
Watch the full performance on YouTube, including new tracks “Genius,” “Crazy Lovers,” “Long in the Tooth,” and “Not My Leader,” as well as an interview with the band discussing their history such as the Vaughn Oliver artwork for their classic 4AD albums.
The upcoming album, 1234, is the follow-up to 2016’s *Take Me to the Trees*, and marks a reunion of four of the band’s original members Robbie Grey, Michael Conroy, Gary McDowell, and Stephen Walker.
Modern English’s appearance on KEXP, however, was marked by the presence of drummer Ric Chandler and guitarist Gabriel Sullivan, filling in for Guitarist Gary McDowell, who is conspicuously absent from the session.
Watch the performance below:
Modern English will embark on an 18-stop U.S. tour, starting with the Evolution Festival in St. Louis, Missouri on August 26th. The tour will include stops in Chicago, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, New York City, Baltimore, Boston, and more, before concluding with a southern swing through Atlanta, Nashville, and Athens, and culminating at Virginia Beach’s Neptune Festival on September 30th.
Robbie Grey and Co. won’t be making this journey alone. They have extended an invitation to Philadelphia synthpop duo, Korine, to join them on select dates.
Modern English Tour Dates 2023:
- August 26: St. Louis, MO — Evolution Festival
- August 27: Chicago, IL — Chicagoland Taco Fair
- August 28: Evanston, IL — Space
- August 31: Indianapolis, IN — HiFi
- September 1: Cincinnati, OH — The Ludlow
- September 2: Columbus, OH — A&R Bar
- September 7: Baltimore, MD — Ottobar
- September 9: New York, NY — Baker Falls
- September 15: Hamden, CT — Space Ballroom
- September 16: Greenfield, MA — Hawks & Reed
- September 17: Boston, MA — Sonia
- September 20: Richmond, VA — Canal Club
- September 22: Greenville, SC — The Radio Room
- September 23: Atlanta, GA — The Earl
- September 24: Nashville, TN — 3rd and Lindsey
- September 27: Athens, GA — 40 Watt
- September 29: Smithfield, NC — Paul A. Johnson
- September 30: Virginia Beach, VA — Neptune Festival
Follow Modern English:
The post Watch Modern English Perform “I Melt With You” and Four Songs From Their New Album on Seattle’s KEXP appeared first on Post-Punk.com.