Interpol explore “heartache and grief” with the release of “Gran Hotel”, the fourth single from the band’s seventh studio album The Other Side Of Make-Believe, which comes out tomorrow, July 15th.
According to the band, The Other Side of Make-Believe explores the sinister undercurrents of modern times, exuding a deep, yearning vulnerability. Produced by Flood and Moulder, Interpol’s latest offering is “a masterpiece of sadness, darkness, and introspection.” Vocalist Paul Banks describes the pandemic-era album as “super fucking different,” with a new optimism, hope, and anthemic quality; “imbued with pastoral longing and newfound grace.”
The new song tells a story of grief, heartbreak, and the processing of loss, illustrated by a poignant video directed by Malia James (Dum Dum Girls). The video is from the viewpoint of someone suffering PTSD from the sudden, terrifying loss of someone overdosing on cocaine. It plays back the events in reverse, starting with the death and unfolding the events leading to it in slow motion. It’s incredibly powerful, emotional, and timely, as fentanyl deaths skyrocket, and drug abuse soars in a world grappling with loss, fear, and shame.
While you can hear the song below, the Malia James video premiered on the band’s Facebook, here – and it is highly recommended viewing.
To celebrate the release of The Other Side Of Make-Believe, Interpol has launched a new global exhibition and pop-up shop called Big Shot City, running July 15-17 simultaneously in London, Los Angeles, New York, Mexico City, and Tokyo.
View this post on Instagram
This summer, Interpol and Spoon are joining forces for the “Lights, Camera, Factions” Tour, with dates that run throughout August and September. Also included on the lineup is Australia’s The Goon Sax.
See full itinerary below:
INTERPOL + SPOON – LIGHTS, CAMERA, FACTIONS TOUR
- Thursday, August 25 – Asbury Park, NJ @ Stone Pony Summer Stage
- Friday, August 26 – Toronto, ON @ Budweiser Stage #
- Saturday, August 27 – Portland, ME @ Thompson’s Point
- Sunday, August 28 – Providence, RI @ Bold Point Pavilion
- Tuesday, August 30 – Columbus, OH @ KEMBA Live! Outdoor
- Thursday, September 1 – Cincinnati, OH @ Andrew J. Brady Music Center
- Friday, September 2 – Atlanta, GA @ The Eastern %
- Saturday, September 3 – Asheville, NC @ Rabbit Rabbit
- Sunday, September 4 – Nashville, TN @ Ryman Auditorium *
- Tuesday, September 6 – Pittsburgh, PA @ Stage AE Outdoors
- Thursday, September 8 – Indianapolis, IN @ TCU Amphitheater at White River Park
- Friday, September 9 – St. Louis, MO @ Stifel Theatre
- Saturday, September 10 – Oklahoma City, OK @ The Criterion
- Tuesday, September 13 – Las Vegas, NV @ The Theater at Virgin Hotels Las Vegas
- Wednesday, September 14 – Paso Robles, CA @ Vina Robles Amphitheatre
- Friday, September 16 – Seattle, WA @ Paramount Theatre
- Saturday, September 17 – Portland, OR @ Pioneer Courthouse Square
- Sunday, September 18 – Portland, OR @ Pioneer Courthouse Square
# Metric, Interpol, Spoon
% Interpol only
* Spoon Only
All dates with The Goon Sax except 8/26
The post Interpol Explore Heartache and Grief in Their Video for “Gran Hotel” appeared first on Post-Punk.com.