Zombie in the bathroom, nuns in the bed
Kiss a kiss make up, toastin’ the bread
An Elvis’ moans, an old natty dread
With death in the living room, offering her head
From the musical maestros that gave us hits after hits, Duran Duran steps into the dark and invites us to their latest haunting musical soiree: “Danse Macabre.”
Hinted with a dash of mystery earlier this month, Danse Macabre is the title track of the illustrious Rock And Roll Hall of Famers’ forthcoming Halloween-themed 16th studio album, hitting the shelves on October 27th courtesy of Tape Modern/BMG.
Duran Duran’s latest chapter is a nostalgic one, as they reconnect with their past by collaborating with former guitarists Andy Taylor and Warren Cuccurullo. Sadly, Taylor has been diagnosed with terminal cancer. Cuccurullo performs on the title track. The iconic ’80s ensemble also reunites with some familiar faces, including Mr. Hudson from their “Paper Gods” project, bass legend Nile Rodgers, and the lively Victoria De Angelis of Måneskin.
The song Danse Macabre is a ghoulish gala, opening with Simon LeBon full-on rapping his way through a series of candy corn-sweet hooks about a grim gathering. The song “celebrates the joy and madness of Halloween,” says founding band member and keyboardist Nick Rhodes. The idea for the album, he continues, was born out of their Las Vegas Halloween show. “We had decided to seize the moment to create a unique, special event…the temptation of using glorious gothic visuals set to a dark soundtrack of horror and humor was simply irresistible….That evening inspired us to explore further and to make an album, using Halloween as the key theme. The record metamorphosed through a pure, organic process, and not only was it made faster than anything since our debut album, it has also resulted in something none of us could have ever predicted.”
Listen to the new single “Danse Macabre” below:
Duran Duran’s latest album, Danse Macabre, features three new songs, as well as revamped old favorites and covers that recall the band last year’s Halloween festivities. Among the fresh tracks are “Black Moonlight” and “Confession of an Afterlife,” in addition to the title track. The band also takes on some classics, including Siouxsie and the Banshees’ hypnotic “Spellbound,” The Specials’ haunting “Ghost Town,” the moody “Paint It Black” by The Rolling Stones, Talking Heads’ unnerving “Psycho Killer,” and Billie Eilish’s “Bury a Friend.”
Duran Duran has added a modern feel to some classic songs on their album. These include the eerie “Night Boat” from 1981, the mysterious B-side “Secret Oktober” from 1983, and the seductive “Love Voodoo.” They also put a fun spin on things with “Super Lonely Freak,” which blends their 1983 hit “Lonely in Your Nightmare” with Rick James’ “Super Freak.”
“Dance Macabre” follows a whirlwind of events for Duran Duran, starting with their induction into the Rock Hall in 2022 in Los Angeles. During the ceremony, Andy Taylor revealed his battle with cancer, but the band continued to shine in the spotlight. They performed at London’s Hyde Park, dazzled at Her Majesty’s Platinum Jubilee soirée at Buckingham Palace, and brought their magic to the Commonwealth Games’ opener in their hometown of Birmingham. Their North American tour was just as impressive, with sold-out shows at Madison Square Garden, three nights under the stars at the Hollywood Bowl, and a fundraiser for Cancer Awareness at The Guild Theatre on August 19.
Danse Macabre is due out on October 27th.
Pre-order through the band’s website.
Duran Duran, Danse Macabre
1. “Nightboat” (Re-recording)
2. “Black Moonlight” (New song)
3. “Love Voudou” (Re-recording)
4. “Bury A Friend” (Billie Eilish cover)
5. “Supernature” (Cerrone cover)
6. “Danse Macabre” (New song)
7. “Secret Oktober 31st” (Re-recording)
8. “Ghost Town” (The Specials cover)
9. “Paint It Black” (Rolling Stones cover)
10. “Super Lonely Freak” (Duran Duran/Rick James mashup)
11. “Spellbound” (Siouxsie and the Banshees cover)
12. “Psycho Killer” (Talking Heads cover)
13. “Confession in the Afterlife” (New song)
Tour dates are listed below.
Duran Duran tour dates
- Aug. 31: St. Paul, MN – Minnesota State Fair
- Sept. 1: Chicago, IL – Huntington Bank Pavilion @ Northerly Island
- Sept. 3: Canandaigua, NY – CMAC
- Sept. 6: Boston, MA – TD Garden
- Sept. 7: Philadelphia, PA – Wells Fargo Center
- Sept. 9: Pittsburgh, PA – PPG Points Arena
- Sept. 10: Cuyahoga Falls, OH – Blosson Music Center
- Sept. 13: Washington, D.C. – Capital One Arena
- Sept. 16: Detroit, MI – Little Caesars Arena
- Sept. 19: Toronto, ON – Scotiabank Arena
- Sept. 22: Queens, NY – Forest Hills Stadium *
* With Grace Jones
Bastille and Nile Rodgers & CHIC open all non-festival shows
The post Duran Duran Debut Title Track from Halloween Themed Album “Danse Macabre” appeared first on Post-Punk.com.