Seona Dancing was a British synth-pop duo formed in 1982, comprising Ricky Gervais (yes, the comedian) and Bill Macrae. Short-lived but impactful, they are best known for their singles “More to Lose” and “Bitter Heart,” released in 1983. Although they didn’t achieve significant success in the Western World, “More to Lose” became an unexpected hit in the Philippines. The lack of chart success led to their dissolution in 1984. Gervais later found fame as a comedian and actor, notably for creating The Office. Despite their brief stint, Seona Dancing remains a notable footnote in the annals of 1980s pop music. The atmospheric production of both singles was entrusted to Phil Thornalley, known for his brief stint with The Cure and his production work on Pornography.
Now, Los Angeles New Wave outfit Sacred Skin has inked a deal with Artoffact Records, and to celebrate this pivotal moment, they’re paying homage to the past with a revitalized cover of Seona Dancing’s Bitter Heart.
“We are thrilled to announce that we have signed with Artoffact Records amongst so many of our peers and heroes,” says the band. “Our second LP (and first for Artoffact) will be released in Spring of 2024. In the meantime, we are dropping a cover of a little-known new wave anthem from Ricky Gervais and his short-lived career as a recording artist before finding his second calling as one the world’s biggest comedians.”
Listen to the new Sacred Skin version below:
Check out the original version below…and marvel at Ricky’s New Wave looks:
SACRED SKIN LIVE DATES:
- Sat, Oct. 14 – San Diego, CA @ The Casbah w/ Forever Grey
- Sun, Oct. 22 – Reno, NV @ Holland Project w/ Fearing
- Mon, Oct. 23 – Salt Lake City, UT @ Liquid Joe’s w/ Fearing
- Tue, Oct. 24 – Denver, CO @ The Crypt Bar w/ Fearing
- Thu, Oct. 26 – Austin, TX @ LEVITATION – Elysium
- Fri, Oct. 27 – San Antonio, TX @ Vice Versa
- Sun, Oct. 29 – El Paso, TX @ Modern Art Bar w/ Fearing
- Tue, Oct. 31 – Mesa, AZ @ Nile Underground w/ Fearing
- Wed, Nov. 1 – Las Vegas, NV @ Backstage Bar w/ Fearing
- Fri, Nov. 10 – Los Angeles @ Substance Festival
Follow Sacred Skin:
The post Los Angeles New Wave Outfit Sacred Skin Covers Seona Dancing’s “Bitter Heart” appeared first on Post-Punk.com.