Follow us on social media
The Sisters of Mercy Announce 19-Date US Tour
Follow us on social media
The Sisters of Mercy have announced their first US tour in over 14 years, with a 19-date US tour beginning on May 10th, 2023.
For over four decades, The Sisters of Mercy have been an iconic force in dark underground music; defining, defying…and denying…several genres of dark rock and roll. Their unique blend of punk-psychedelia, metal, dance beats, and guttural growls have mesmerized the masses for several generations – and for many fans in the US, this will be their first opportunity to catch them live.
In November 2022, The Sisters of Mercy announced their first live appearance on American soil since the second Bush administration with a headlining spot at the Sick New World Festival in Las Vegas. The Midas touch continued with the concert announced for May 23rd at the Palladium in Los Angeles, selling out in a day. Less than a week later, the Sisters announced an additional date in Las Vegas following Sick New World, and a second date in the city of angels.
Formed in Leeds, in 1980, TSOM, while named after a Leonard Cohen song, took inspiration from such luminaries as Bowie, Slade, and The Velvet Underground. But their closest sonic bedfellows are The Stooges, Motörhead, and Suicide, the influence of which imbued the band with a distinct sound of their own when compared to others in the post-punk era.
Like many famous UK bands from the 80s post-punk era such as Joy Division and New Order, The Sisters of Mercy were first brought over stateside by legendary booker Ruth Polsky, who set up them up with their first US tour 40 years ago in the autumn of 1983. This was an early success for the band, driven by the band’s intense live show and incredibly strong early singles such as “Alice”, “Temple of Love” and The Reptile House E.P. Their 1985 debut LP, First and Last and Always would propel the band ever further bookending their iconic first chapter.
1987’s Floodland was a massive breakthrough for the band, featuring epic tracks such as “Dominion,” “Lucretia My Reflection,” and, of course, 10+ minute opus “This Corrosion,” all three of which can still be heard on dance floors to date. 1990’s Vision Thing featured a harder, more metal-influenced sound, yet retained their trademark drum machine pummel and lyrical ambiguity.
The disingenuous nature of the music industry in the ‘90s left Andrew Eldritch with a distaste for the record business, shifting his focus to performing live in lieu of releasing recorded music. Yet, while TSOM have not released an LP since Vision Thing, their popularity and impact has only grown stronger over time, with their erudite rock and roll cacophony influencing countless bands over their tenure.
Recent live reviews have championed the show as the band’s strongest in years, with Eldritch supported by the stellar performances of Ben Christo, Dylan Smith, ‘Ravey’ Dave Creffield, and, as ever, Doktor Avalanche. Add to this a cinematic light show and a set list of huge hits, deep cuts, and acclaimed new tunes and you’ve got the recipe for a killer night.
Tickets for the long-awaited US return of The Sisters of Mercy go on sale, Friday, February 10th at 10:00 AM local time.
- Wed, May 10 – Silver Spring MD @ The Fillmore DC – Ticket Link
- Sat, May 13 – Las Vegas NV @ Sick New World Festival – SOLD OUT
- Sun, May 14 – Las Vegas NV @ Brooklyn Bowl – Ticket Link
- Mon, May 15 – Los Angeles CA @ Hollywood Palladium – Ticket Link
- Wed, May 17 – San Francisco CA @ The Masonic – Ticket Link
- Fri, May 19 – Portland OR @ Crystal Ballroom – Ticket Link
- Sun, May 21 – Seattle WA @ Moore Theatre – Ticket Link
- Tue, May 23 – Los Angeles CA @ Hollywood Palladium – SOLD OUT
- Wed, May 24 – Tempe AZ @ Marquee Theatre – Ticket Link
- Fri, May 26 – Houston TX @ Bayou Music Center – Please see venue website
- Sat, May 27 – Austin TX @ Austin City Limits Live at Moody Theatre – Ticket Link
- Mon, May 29 – St Louis MO @ The Pageant – Ticket Link
- Wed, May 31 – Boston MA @ Big Night Live – Ticket Link
- Fri, June 2 – Brooklyn NY @ Kings Theatre – Ticket Link
- Sat, June 3 – Philadelphia PA @ The Fillmore – Ticket Link
- Mon, June 5 – Detroit MI @ The Fillmore – Please see venue website
- Tue, June 6 – Chicago IL @ The Salt Shed – Please see venue website
- Thu, June 8 – Kansas City MO @ Uptown Theatre – Ticket Link
- Fri, June 9 – Denver CO @ Fillmore Auditorium – Ticket Link
The post The Sisters of Mercy Announce 19-Date US Tour appeared first on Post-Punk.com.