A tribute tour for David Bowie kicks off in April, and this year, the frontman is none other than Peter Murphy. The Celebrating David Bowie tour, spearheaded by guitarist Scrote, has has hit seventeen countries since its inception in 2017, featuring guest appearances by Sting, Gary Oldman, Thomas Dolby, The B-52’s’ Kate Pierson, Ewan McGregor, Simon Le Bon, La Roux, Spandau Ballet’s Tony Hadley, Ian Astbury, The Tubes’ Fee Waybill, The London Community Gospel Choir, and The Harlem Gospel Choir.
Joining forces with Bowie guitarist Adrian Belew, this spring Murphy and company will “interpret Bowie’s greatest hits with a special emphasis on Bowie’s Ziggy Stardust proto-punk era, his Berlin trilogy records (Low, Heroes, and Lodger) and his later Trent Reznor-infused years.”
Belew played guitar on Lodger, and shared the stage with Bowie during the 1978 Isolar II Tour and the 1990 Sound + Vision tour. Eric Schermerhorn, meanwhile, was a guitarist and background vocalist on Bowie’s 1991 tour with Tin Machine.
Bauhaus, of course, covered Ziggy Stardust. Here’s Peter Murphy belting it out on Top of the Pops in 1982:
Here are the dates for the 2023 Celebrating David Bowie tour.
- 4/5 – Houston, TX @ House of Blues
- 4/6 – New Orleans, LA @ House of Blues
- 4/8 – St. Petersburg, FL @ Mahaffey Theater
- 4/9 – Ft. Lauderdale, FL @ Parker Playhouse
- 4/11 – Atlanta, GA @ Variety Playhouse
- 4/12 – Chattanooga, TN @ Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Auditorium
- 4/14 – Virginia Beach, VA @ Sandler Center
- 4/15 – Westbury, NY @ NYCB Theatre
- 4/16 – Red Bank, NJ @ Count Basie Center for the Arts
- 4/17 – Englewood, NJ @ Bergen PAC
- 4/18 – Glenside, PA @ Keswick Theatre
- 4/20 – Ridgefield, CT @ Ridgefield Playhouse
- 4/21 – Lynn, MA @ Lynn Auditorium
- 4/22 – Staten Island, NY @ St. George Theatre
- 4/23 – Washington, DC @ The Hamilton
- 4/25 – Munhall, PA @ Carnegie of Homestead Music Hall
- 4/26 – Cincinnati, OH @ Taft Theatre
- 4/28 – Grand Prairie, TX @ Texas Trust CU Theatre
- 4/29 – Tulsa, OK @ Tulsa Theater
- 4/30 – San Antonio, TX @ HEB Performance Hall
- 5/2 – Phoenix, AZ @ Celebrity Theatre
- 5/4 – Anaheim, CA @ City National Grove of Anaheim
- 5/5 – San Francisco, CA @ The Regency Ballroom
- 5/7 – Portland, OR @ Roseland Theater
- 5/8 – Tacoma, WA @ Temple Theatre
The post Bauhaus’ Peter Murphy to Sing David Bowie Songs in Tribute Tour with Guitarist Adrian Belew appeared first on Post-Punk.com.